This soup is yum….A+++++
If you’ve followed my posts you know that I like soups. Like really like. You also know that I like leafy greens. Spinach, kale, chards…O My! I’m a nerd when it comes to leafy greens.
But you don’t have to be a lover of leafy greens to like this soup. Nope. You just have to like soup. And most people like soup. I’m convinced that even if you don’t like soup you’d like this one.
The texture. The fragrance. The taste. Yep, you’re gonna love this one friends.
I’ve made this silky brew several times already. Each time -> yum! The white beans give this soup such flavor that I don’t think I could ever eat spinach soup without them.
You can eat this soup by itself, in a soup bowl, or pour it over Spinach and White Bean Enchiladas. Side note: these are the best enchiladas you’ll ever make! It’s my go-to meal when I don’t have time to cook or I don’t feel like cooking. It’s the winner of the Tastiest & Easiest Award on this blog! And the magic behind the enchiladas?
Healthy, tasty, beautiful. What’s not to love?
And I have a secret. You can use kale instead of spinach. Hey, you can use LOTS of kale if you want. Bring on the kale!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3-4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans butter beans
- 3-4 cups fresh or frozen spinach (or kale)
- 1 potato, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 3 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Optional: ½ cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- ¼ cup cream (or milk)
- In a large pot saute onions until golden over medium/high heat.
- Add in the chicken broth, butter beans, spinach, potato and white wine. I use frozen spinach because it's so simple.
- Add in the spices: garlic, bay leaves, salt, and pepper. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 20 minutes, until the potatoes have softened.
- Transfer the soup to a high end blender (or food processor) and blend until smooth/velvety.
- Transfer back to the pot. Mix in the lemon juice and zest. Mix in the cream.