A beautiful marriage between dates and figs, this is the absolute best sugar replacement.
You can use it as a 1:1 replacement like I do in my Gluten-free Gingerbread Muffins recipe or enjoy on toast or Paleo English Muffins, in oatmeal, or just about anything that you want to sweeten up a bit (even give some to a grump and watch his/her face light up!)
The amazingness of this date purée is the nutritional value.
Take a look at the nutritional content comparing 1 ounce of dates and 1 ounce of figs:
Now, I’d say both offer a good amount of nutrition.
Is one better than the other? Your call.
The reason I use both in this puree is because the dates offer a bit more sugar and the figs add quite a bit more calcium. That’s all.
Goodness, you could use just dates and you’d have a perfectly capable sugar substitute.
Why substitute for sugar?
Check this out:
As you can see, the date/fig combination BLOW maple sugar and sugar out of the [sweet] water! So…a much better alternative I’d say.
Ok ok, I’m not saying maple syrup and raw sugar are bad. I do still use maple syrup when I bake. And ONLY on occasion do I use raw sugar.
It’s just that not all sugars are equal…and a purée of dates and figs is a perfect replacement.
How to make Date and Fig Purée
1 ounce (handful) dried and PITTED dates medjool
1 ounce (handful) dried figs
1 mason jar
1. Fill up a mason jar full of dried dates (pitted) and figs (1/2 and 1/2). Fill with water.
2. Soak overnight.
3. The next day, strain.
4. Blend, spatula off the sides, and blend again. Repeat until all has combined into a purée.
5. Transfer the puree into another jar. Keep in the fridge up up to a week.
See how easy that is?!
- 1 ounce (handful) dried and PITTED dates medjool
- 1 ounce (handful) dried figs
- 1 mason jar
- Fill up a mason jar full of dried dates (pitted) and figs (1/2 and ½). Fill with water.
- Soak overnight.
- The next day, strain.
- Blend, spatula off the sides, and blend again. Repeat until all has combined into a purée.
- Transfer the puree into another jar. Keep in the fridge up up to a week.